Thursday, December 18, 2008

Creating Memories

More often than not I feel like my kids have to fit into my schedule not that I have to fit into the kids schedule. Don't get me wrong, I do spend my days driving back and forth to the school, soccer, gymnastics, basketball, and Cub Scouts. How often do we really get time to do something special and enjoy the day with our kids?

Yesterday was one of those days. We are on a tight budget and while there are many fun kid friendly things I would love to take my kids to we often can't afford them and stick to free or low cost things like our zoo and museum membership, the library, and free skating passes the kids get from school. Last night we got to spend the evening all 5 of us having fun. Since my husband has been in school full-time since we met and just graduated Saturday, he was often gone most evenings. So we said heck with the budget for a little fun.

We went to Fish City Grill, and the kids ate free. Then we went to Color Me Mine, the local paint your own pottery place by our house. We made handmade presents for 5 people as well as 5 ornaments for our tree. The bill was outrageous but it was so worth it. I can't remember the last time my kids had so much fun and I got to sit down and enjoy the time with both my kids and my husband. The kids probably told me thank you for taking them there 10 times each.

If that isn't worth it, I don't know what else is?

4 comments:

Evolving Mommy Catherine said...

I love paint your own pottery places! Sounds like a fun time...sometimes the budget just has to be ignored!

Jennifer said...

How fun! Sometimes you just have to let go and have fun.

Jen said...

I am so glad that you had a good time. Creating memories is ALWAYS worth it.

Geri said...

Sounds like a great day, and kids doing pottery that sounds like something they would love.