Friday, February 13, 2009

I'll Love You Forever I'll Like You For Always...

As long as I'm living my baby you'll be.

Noah's Mommy @ Project Mommyhood inspired this post with her wonderful, and amazingly sweet post about her love, her son Noah.

With Valentine's Day a mere 4 hours away here in Colorado, I jumped on board with all the lovey, dovey stuff.

Love You Forver by Robert Munsch is my FAVORITE book. It holds a special place in my heart because it is B and my thing.

If you have not read this book to your children, you have to! Go the the library, Barnes and Noble, Target, whatever.

The story starts with a new mom. She rocks her new baby back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. While she rocks him she sings, "I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living my baby you'll be." It continues through all the phases of the little boys life from wild toddler boy, to naughty school age boy, to out there teenager boy, to grown man. As time goes by the mom gets older and sicker and the boy (now grown man) rocks her and sings, "as long as I'm living my mommy you'll be." The book ends full circle with the boy singing to his new baby daughter.

Oh, how just thinking of this and my B makes me want to cry!

I don't know how old B was when I got this book but a very small infant, maybe before he was born. I was lucky enough that my mom kept all my books, so B had those plus I joined a book club and had books mailed to me every month until he was at least 2. Needless to say, the child has an impressive library.

I have read to B all the time since he was a small infant and this was always our book. I loved it, he loved. I sang him the little song and he loved that too.

I kept reading B this book. As he got older he memorized it and it even more became our little thing.

I often tell him at night or other special times "I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living my baby you'll be."

He often tells me out of nowhere, "I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living my mommy you'll be."

It is hard to imagine before you were a parent fully understanding what a strong bond you have with your child. It truly is amazing!

And to even make it sweeter! Last year on my birthday Max didn't help the kids get me anything so they took it upon themselves to give me and wrap things they had access too. Wyn gave me a half used body spray I gave to her because I didn't use it, I can't remember what FiFi gave me, but B wrapped up the Love You Forever book and gave it to me for my birthday because he knew it was my favorite book! Oh, how sweet! If this kid can't melt your heart, I don't know who else can.

Happy Valentine's Day everyone! I hope you can spend it with the ones you love!

3 comments:

Gina said...

Awwww....your B sounds so sweet. And that post put me right back in the Valentine mood. I feel a bit guilty about the crabfest I just posted.

Evolving Mommy Catherine said...

Oh, that B, he's such a lovey kid. I love that book it makes me cry. I remember my mom crying while reading it to us when we were little too.

Jen said...

Oh I love this book! What a great post.